Does spending 5 minutes a day with your children truly impact their academic performance? Can it really make a big difference if you check children’s homework and talk about the topics they are learning about? Does a positive environment at home with supportive parents lay the foundation for children’s successful learning?
As parents we ask these questions all the time in order to do what’s best for our children and still successfully manage day-to-day responsibilities. Don’t worry, the dilemma you are facing is normal and is something every parent goes through. Solving this dilemma will propel things to change immediately, for you and for your children.
Does it really matter? Scientists say YES
Scientific research has proven that spending quality time with children helps them in the long run. Their age will determine the amount of time you should spend together, and type of activities you should opt for, but it all boils down to one thing – creating a positive and supportive environment, with parents taking an active role in education which will improve their cognitive development, help them be motivated and academically more successful.
In real life this means that this activity will take up more than 5 minutes a day, other times it will be fun and relaxing for the whole family. If you are committed to stimulating cognitive development and helping them improve academic achievements, you have to:
- Help with homework, check if it’s done correctly. This way children will develop a habit of getting things done on time, become more responsible and dedicated at school.
- Have a meaningful conversation on various topics every day. Talk about current school lessons, their friends, what they like, help them plan their future, talk about struggles you had to face at school. Interaction with parents gives children a sense of competence, it will motivate them to achieve more, be mature and have strength to persevere.
- Show the practical use of knowledge they acquire in school. If the lesson is too difficult or complicated, this can be very helpful because they will see how important it is to overcome certain problems with the aid of hands-on experience. Show them how practical knowledge can be applied in everyday life and they will appreciate the effort even more.
- Organize learning-related activities like trips to museums, libraries, sightseeing, outdoor activities, reading books together. This will stimulate cognitive development, spark their curiosity, desire to learn and improve performance at school.
- Nurture active interaction with school, visit school more frequently to meet teachers, help develop new ideas or learning strategies with school management. Although this may seem like you are making sure your child is receiving quality education, you will actually show care and dedication. Developing social and emotional skills will be the biggest outcome from this.
Parents don’t need to be experts to help children
Before you feel overwhelmed, let us help you cope with this process and take the first step. Most of us are just normal people trying to do what’s best for our children, no experts or scientists are capable of applying all methods at once.
The first thing you can do is to assess and decide what will be your focus. Does your child need help with homework, does your child enjoy school or learning in general? Knowing this will determine your next step.
Remember, whatever you do, will have an impact on your child: being outdoors, having a talk or taking part in creative activities. Painting, sketching, drawing and solving puzzles will help develop critical thinking. Reading will help children better comprehend the story, understand the moral and will lay a foundation for literacy, expand their vocabulary and develop good language skills.
Every time you notice a child wants to share something with you, listen carefully, help them elaborate with more detail. This will help them feel important, better perceive certain situations and draw a conclusion. Nonetheless, this will be beneficial in developing social and emotional skills.
Your role is crucial
Your involvement in child’s education is crucial, so every minute you invest in spending quality time with them will have a positive effect. No matter if it’s 5 minutes, an hour or a whole day, you will have a profound impact on building a happy and successful character.
In case you feel you need help, guidance or inspiration, don’t hesitate to call us. We in Active Brain Kids Academy will be more than happy to help in any way.